The school was built in 1959 on an open site midway between Pontefract and Ferrybridge, and accommodates children from Orchard Head, Stump Cross and New Hall areas. The land on which the school was built was originally a cherry orchard (hence its name) connected with the Old Hall, which used to be in the valley below.

An extensive view from the school takes in the whole of Pontefract and Ferrybridge Power Station, and the area is rich in historical content.